About



Admission



Undergraduate Programs

Faculty

Departments

Contact

 





S S L


The foundation stone for the Madras Agricultural College and Research Institute was laid in Coimbatore on 24th September, 1906 by the then Governor of Fort St. George, Sir Arthur Lawley.

Students were first admitted into the Agricultural College at Coimbatore in 1908 for an educational programme leading to Licentiate in Agriculture (L.Ag.). The Agricultural College and Research Institute was opened by Sir Arthur Lawley on July 14, 1909. In 1920, the college was affiliated to the Madras University and a new course of study leading to a degree in Agriculture, B.Sc. (Ag.) was introduced and the first batch came out in 1923. To start with, only eight students were admitted for the three year degree course, the qualification for admission being a pass in the Intermediate examination with 11 years of study in school and two years of Intermediate before entering the Agricultural College, thus bringing the total duration of study for an Agricultural graduate to 16 years. The number of students admitted to the college gradually increased from eight in 1920 to forty eight in 1926.

The Agricultural College at Coimbatore was separated from the Research Institute in 1922 and a separate building was erected for hosing the Agricultural College. This building called ‘Freeman Building’. The foundation stone for the Freeman building was laid on June 30, 1922 by the Governor of Madras, Lord Wellington of Ratton and was opened in July 1926 by Viscount Goschen of Hawkhurst, the then Governor of Madras. The Second World War brought in problems of shortage in food and clothing and inorder to an adequate number of trained agricultural personnel well equiped for tackling the program chalked out under the Post-War Reconstruction schemes. The admission to the Agricultural College was fuerther raised from 48 to 96 in 1944 and 96 to 108 in 1953 and again from 108 to 162 from the year 1956.

In 1942, research and teaching sections were integrated. A second Agricultural College was started in 1945 at Bapatla (now in Andhra Pradesh) and a third college in 1965 at Madurai to cope with the vast expansion and intensification of agricultural activities in Tamil Nadu. A Postgraduate Diploma course in Horticulture of one year duration was started under the auspices of the Madras Government (Agriculture Department) which was affiliated to the Madras University in 1953. The course was intended primarily to train the agricultural graduates employed already in Government sections of Horticulture. The course was discontinued from 1957. A four year integrated B.Sc. (Ag.) course was started when the one year Pre-University course came into existence in 1960 thus maintaining the total duration at 16 years for first Graduation in Agriculture.


Milestones

1868

Agricultural School was started at Saidapet, Chennai (Madras)

1876

Dawn of Madras Agricultural College, Saidapet with three year certificate course

1906

The Saidapet Agricultural School was shifted to Coimbatore and foundation stone laid for Agricultural College and Rseaerch Institute.

1908

Students were admitted to education program leading to Licentiate in Agriculture (L. Ag.)

1909

Opening of Agricultural College and Research Institute (AC & RI) by Sir Arthur Lawley.

1920

The AC & RI was affiliated to Madras University. A new course of study leading to a three year degree in Agriculture -B.Sc. (Ag.) was started.

1945

Second Agricultural College was started at Bapatla (Now in Andhra Pradesh).

1948

Certificate course in Horticulture commenced

1953

Introduction of six months intensive practical farm training in the third year of the course

1958

Regional Post-Graduate Center was established to offer programs leading to Masters degree in Agriculture & Horticulture. Separate postgraduate block constructed.

1960

Integrated system with four year B.Sc. (Ag) degree program after Pre-University education was introduced and subsequently doctoral program in Agriculture was started.

1965

Third Agricultural College was started at Madurai, Tamil Nadu and the Masters program at Madurai was introduced during 1969.

1971

The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University came into existence with Coimbatore as its Head Quarters.

1972

A separate Faculty of Horticulture was established and a degree program in Horticulture - B.Sc. (Hort.) was introduced. The College of Agricultural Engineering was established at Coimbatore and a Bachelor's degree program in Agricultural Engineering - B.E.(Ag) was introduced.

1973

Doctoral program was introduced in Horticultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore.

1975

Faculty of Post Graduate Education was established in TNAU, Coimbatore and Masters and Doctoral (1978) programs were started in Environmental Sciences and Biotechnology.

1976

The Madras Veterinary College became constituent unit of TNAU and B.V.Sc. degree program was suitably restructured*.

1977

Bachelor's degree (B.F.Sc.) program in Fisheries Science at Thoothukudi was started*.

Masters and Doctoral program in Agricultural Engineering was introduced.

1980

Bachelor's degree B.Sc. (Home Sci.) in Home Science was launched in Madurai Campus.

1981

Masters program was introduced in Home Science College & Research Institute, Madurai and Doctoral program in 1988.

1989

Doctoral program in Agriculture was introduced in Agricultural college & Research Institute, Madurai; Masters program introduced in Forest College & Research Institute, Mettupalayam and Horticultural College & Research Institute, Periyakulam.

1990

Masters program in Agriculture was introduced in Agricultural College & Research Institute, Killikulam, Thoothukudi district, Tamil Nadu and Doctoral program in Forest College & Research Institute, Mettupalayam.

1998

B.Tech.(Food Process Engineering) introduced as self supporting program.

2002

B.Tech.(Horticulture) and B.Tech(Agricultue Biotechnology) introduced as self supporting programs.

2003

Faculty of Post Graduate Education renamed as School of Post Graduate Studies

2004

B.Tech.(Energy and Environmental Engineering) introduced as a self supporting program.

2005

Centenary celebrations of Agricultural College and Research Institute (AC&RI), Coimbatore

2006

B.Tech.(Bioinformatics) introduced as a self supporting program.

2007

B.Tech.(Agricultural Information Technology) and B.S.(Agribusiness Management) introduced as as a self supporting programs. Nanotechnology introduced in undergarduate curriculum.

2008

Dual Degree Masters Program with Cornell University, Ithaca, USA introduced. Dual degree option with Dalhousie University, Canada established for undergraduate program in B.Tech.(Environmental Landscape Horticulture)

2011

B.Sc.(Sericulture) introduced. M.Tech. (Ag.) in Nanotechnology introduced
M.Tech. in Environmental Engineering introduced

2012

Masters program introduced in Plant Genetic Resource  & Remote Sensing

© 2013 AC&RI. All Rights Reserved.